|David Kelley, Stanford Design School|
We had a novel empathising approach for the brainstorming activity. Every member taking part in the brainstorming session had to narrate an unfortunate and sad event of their life in the introduction stage to instill an empathising and self involving approach. Click here to understand Brainstorming approach developed by Nobel Prize winner Dr. Roger Sperry from Caltech, which is one of the basic components of Design Thinking ..
Participants of the workshop narrated touching, moving incidents in their life, like escaping from a very serious air accident in Arabia, to being involved in a serious bus accident, to having a serious and crippling low back-ache, novel challenging and professionally threatening work experiences at the first job.
|Different stages in Design Thinking starting with empathize .|
The participants gave very insightful recommendations to solve the water crisis. They are listed here for the benefit of the participants (red indicates the most repeated and important ones as agreed by the participants)
1. Building construction is a cause for water crisis. Stop building construction.
2. Leakage of water to be stopped from leaking pipes and taps
3. Deploy Rainwater Harvesting in homes
4. Washing of cars from municipal / borewell water to be done less frequently
5. Reverse Osmosis to be made available in all homes
6. Reclaim / save water bodies
7. Deploy Rain water harvesting on rooftops in homes
8. Recycling water from kitchen etc
9. Creating awareness on conserving water
10. Sensitise industries to use less water
11. Reduce construction activities
12. Lakes that have been leveled for construction activities should be reclaimed and allowed to fill with water
13. Companies should meet their water needs from their personal resources and by recycling
14. Recycling of waste water by every apartment building
15. Use showers less for bathing, use bucketsThe quality and quantity of the discussion we found was quite good. We intend to communicate this to the city infrastructure and municipal authorities.
16. Use grey water for gardening and toilet uses
17. Have variable capacity flush in toilets
18. Reduce cemented floors to reduce storm water generation
19. Deploy better storm water drainage to allow water to permeate to the ground
Prototyping and testing will be done later as this is a large wicked problem which does not have an exact solution and can have very dynamic solutions.