|The 4 engined , 2 -storey, 880 capacity A380 at take-off ..|
I have shown many videos of it flying in my class to graduate and undergraduate students at Alliance University and Xavier Institute of Management and Entrepreneurship (XIME) in Bangalore right from 2006, the year it was introduced in the global aviation market a s a large plane simultaneously as Boeing 787 got introduced as an economy plane. (Click here for National Geographic video on A380..)
|4 nos. of this Rolls Royce Trent 900 engine |
of 360 KN each power each A380
Some interesting air travel statistics :
|The majestic 2 storey 880 capacity 4 engined A380, bowing out of service !!|
1. The airlines flying the A380 found it difficult to fill passengers. Almost 50% of the planes were owned by two Gulf carriers, Emirates and Gulf Air.
2. The 4 Rols Royce engines each with a maximum thrust of 360 KN were great to propel the aircraft, but was an added drain on the airlines as it was also a great fuel guzzler. (although it could fly more than 14 hours and a distance of more than 9000 miles in one single charge) ..
3. It could profitably operate only between major hubs (to ensure enough p[assengers) and not between major cities and capitals.
4. The introduction of the more efficient and economical Boeing 787 by the competitor Boeing in 2014 actually put the last nail on the coffin of Airbus A380.
|The 3-storey 1760 capacity 6 engined A390 .. A distant possibility !!|
5. Global air passengers were growing only at a rate of 4 % CAGR from a 4 billion in 2017 expected to reach 8 billion in 2037. ie. the global air passenger market was not ready to receive such large aircrafts as yet. ( maybe in the future, we may need planes of the size of A380 with 4 large 360 KN engines each, but not now)