Ethics is a standard of behaviour that guides how one should act in different situations we come across in our daily life.
- honesty or being truthful come what may,
- compassion or concern for others,
- generosity or being willing to share what we have with others,
- tolerance or being broadminded to accept another persons thoughts and actions,
- integrity or holding steadfast to certain values and not compromising,
- self-control or having control over oneself and one's emotions and
- fidelity or faithfulness
Here is an Ethical Framework to guide our everyday actions :
1. Does my action affect any group of people (or the environment and other living beings) negatively ?
2. Make sure all facts are known before an option is exercised, like what is the impact of the action and what are the options available
3. Evaluate all the options available based on the above five guiding principles
4. Identify the best option and if in doubt, get it clarified from a respectable, reliable source
5. In retrospect, look at the effect and impact of your decision and get the learning from it to improve upon it the next time.
If we follow these five principles of ethics and stick to the framework when we have to take any decision, I am sure, the world will become a fairer and just place for all living beings ..
(reference to Operations Management by William J Stevenson, McGraw Hill India, 11e, 2015)