The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but it is the illusion of knowledge - Stephen Hawking
I have come across many who believe that Indian culture was very inferior to the European and Arab culture throughout history.
Regarding the global educational scene, the Platonic Academy was founded by Plato in 387 BC. It lasted for another 900 years intermittently in Athens. Aristotle also set up school in around 335 BC for about 400 years. (ref. wikipedia) Organised learning happened around from 800 AD to 1200 AD, teaching diverse subjects, the only centres of education from India and the Indus valley, Nalanda, Taxila and the like.
By 12 th century, the first centre of modern day learning came up in the western world in England in Oxford and Bologna, Italy, from the ashes of Nalanda. Only from 1500 AD we find the Europeans copying discoveries, to start with the gun powder from China (without paying any patent fees) and some knowledge in medicine, astronomy etc from India and China, others coming from Greece and Persia. Harvard U in US followed up in late 17 th century ..
|Pattanam excavations of earthen ware of 500-1000 BC|
pic courtesy - The Hindu.
By looking at the graph of research from U of Groningen, Netherlands, it is very clear which two countries of the world were the most prosperous till 1700 AD. We find that from 1 AD to 1700 AD, India (South Asia) and China controlled 75% of global GDP or wealth. The mighty Egypt and Italy (Roman empire) contributed barely 10%. What a concocted version of history we were made to believe ! South Asia generated at least four times the combined GDP of Europe, Italy and Egypt, year upon year ..
Ask not what you coutry can do for you, ask what you can do for your country - John Fitzgerald Kennedy
It is the fault of contemporary society that we were made to believe that the Romans, Syrians and other white skins were a superior race, when we were tribals living in forest, at the mercy of nature and animals, superstitions and false beliefs. It was the kind heart of the white man and people from Europe and Arabia that actually saved us. What a debilitating and concocted thought ..
Without peace, understanding, tolerance, forbearance, liberality, open and broad mindedness, magnanimity, sympathy and charity in the society, how could a society be so thriving and advanced then ?
Beware of false knowledge, it is more dangerous than ignorance - George Bernard Shaw
The Pattanam (in Cranganore area of Kerala) excavations to unravel the Muziris Indian heritage has just excavated 10% of great South Indian heritage. The other 90% is yet to be carried out and to see the light of the day ! Let us patiently wait to understand more of our ancestors and their version of life, trade and commerce..
Check out www.muzirisheritage.org in the coming days !!
PS : India as mentioned in UoG research comprises of South Indian kingdoms.