Thursday, March 05, 2015
Reducing traffic congestion in Bangalore city, Results of Brainstorming and Affinity Diagram.
There were 8 groups of about 7-8 members each. Each group member was asked to suggest one creative idea each (keeping the creative right hemisphere of brain working and shutting off the rational left hemisphere of brain) in each of the three rounds for each group (in about 25 minutes) to help solve the traffic congestion problem in Bangalore city. From the approximate 18-20 ideas generated by each group, exercising only the left rational hemisphere of brain (shutting out the creative right hemisphere), the group was asked to reduce the number of ideas to 5 ( time, cost, effort and resource wise).
1. Using CCTV
2. Proper city planning
3. Using drones for last-mile delivery
4. Green corridor
5. Smart signals
6. Google maps
7. Using signals of congestion from mobile phone towers and warning motorists to take alternate less congested routes
1. Car pooling
2. more walking
3. improving effectiveness of traffic police
4. extensive use of bicycles and bicycle stands across city
1. Extend metro to more places and encourage people to use more metro services
2. encourage people to use public transport/company transport more
3. increase comfort in public transport systems
4. use double-decker buses
Roads and Infrastructure
1. Use more of underground roads
2. widen existing roads
3. use elevated parking and free roads from parking
4. avoid U-turns on important roads
5. build more flyovers
6. build more underpasses and
7. build emergency lanes for ambulances etc to move freely
1. split 8 hrs to 2 four hour working slots and ask people to choose
2. split a day into 3 four hour working slots and give flexibility to employees to choose which ever four hour slots they wish to work
3. flexible working days of five from Monday to Saturday, making Sunday mandatory off
1. Peak traffic tolls at toll plazas to be increased to double or triple normal rates discouraging people from commuting at peak traffic times.
2. Increase the cost of petrol and diesel to discourage private travel
3. reduce public transportation rates
1. heavy fines for traffic rule violation and lane violation
2. make licensing strict
3. levy heavy fines on buses that stop in the middle of roads
4. increase awareness of traffic rules to ease traffic flow
5. increase heavily road tax for private vehicles
6. 5S implementation - allotting separate lanes for diff types of vehilces
7. Give more road space to buses and give separate limited lanes for private vehicles
8. Give 30-40 times more preference to public transport than private transport.
I am sure the necessary authorities in Bangalore city in charge of traffic will give heed to these ideas and try to ease the traffic congestion on bangalore roads.
© Alliance University, Bangalore. Ideas presented here are copyrighted by the Operations batch of July 14 MBA batch, Alliance University in Bangalore.
My popular posts over the last month ..
Here is the list of top ten "bank defaulter" companies from India .. It is a pity and matter of great shame that all the shady c...
These malayalam proverbs (invaluable diamonds of wisdom) have been collected from eyyal.blogspot.com and other sources on the Intern...
India was very fortunate to have had great PMs like Nehru and Dr. Manmohan Singh who have done yoemen service to the economy. Modi, ...
With proven, time tested and reliable capability, ISRO is getting ready to launch 103 satellites, nano, micro satellites all included, in ...
A child today can expect to change jobs at least seven times over the course of their lives – and five of those jobs don't exist yet ...
Well planned structured money laundering was carried out by our politicians before banning 500 and 1000 denomination currencies ... La...
Donald Trump appeared very balanced and mature in his victory speech. In the fast changing global scenario, democracy has once again succe...
Rajagiri HS Ernakulam, Kerala, in the late 70s, was a great place to do schooling. While at Rajagiri, I had a classmate who used to be...
When I read this Reuters report about how a 240 year old violent US culture destabilised a 4000 year culture, resulting in so much violenc...
Impact of poor British administration of India and it's aftermath Going through historical documents archived across the world, we...