Thursday, March 05, 2015
Reducing traffic congestion in Bangalore city, Results of Brainstorming and Affinity Diagram.
There were 8 groups of about 7-8 members each. Each group member was asked to suggest one creative idea each (keeping the creative right hemisphere of brain working and shutting off the rational left hemisphere of brain) in each of the three rounds for each group (in about 25 minutes) to help solve the traffic congestion problem in Bangalore city. From the approximate 18-20 ideas generated by each group, exercising only the left rational hemisphere of brain (shutting out the creative right hemisphere), the group was asked to reduce the number of ideas to 5 ( time, cost, effort and resource wise).
1. Using CCTV
2. Proper city planning
3. Using drones for last-mile delivery
4. Green corridor
5. Smart signals
6. Google maps
7. Using signals of congestion from mobile phone towers and warning motorists to take alternate less congested routes
1. Car pooling
2. more walking
3. improving effectiveness of traffic police
4. extensive use of bicycles and bicycle stands across city
1. Extend metro to more places and encourage people to use more metro services
2. encourage people to use public transport/company transport more
3. increase comfort in public transport systems
4. use double-decker buses
Roads and Infrastructure
1. Use more of underground roads
2. widen existing roads
3. use elevated parking and free roads from parking
4. avoid U-turns on important roads
5. build more flyovers
6. build more underpasses and
7. build emergency lanes for ambulances etc to move freely
1. split 8 hrs to 2 four hour working slots and ask people to choose
2. split a day into 3 four hour working slots and give flexibility to employees to choose which ever four hour slots they wish to work
3. flexible working days of five from Monday to Saturday, making Sunday mandatory off
1. Peak traffic tolls at toll plazas to be increased to double or triple normal rates discouraging people from commuting at peak traffic times.
2. Increase the cost of petrol and diesel to discourage private travel
3. reduce public transportation rates
1. heavy fines for traffic rule violation and lane violation
2. make licensing strict
3. levy heavy fines on buses that stop in the middle of roads
4. increase awareness of traffic rules to ease traffic flow
5. increase heavily road tax for private vehicles
6. 5S implementation - allotting separate lanes for diff types of vehilces
7. Give more road space to buses and give separate limited lanes for private vehicles
8. Give 30-40 times more preference to public transport than private transport.
I am sure the necessary authorities in Bangalore city in charge of traffic will give heed to these ideas and try to ease the traffic congestion on bangalore roads.
© Alliance University, Bangalore. Ideas presented here are copyrighted by the Operations batch of July 14 MBA batch, Alliance University in Bangalore.
This morning at Alliance University, Bangalore, it was a great discussion about the coffee supply chain that happened in the MBA sem 2, ...
My popular posts over the last month ..
These malayalam proverbs (invaluable diamonds of wisdom) have been collected from eyyal.blogspot.com and other sources on the Intern...
Energy is the originator of life on earth. Without energy life cannot exist. In the modern world, the need for energy is only going t...
The SELCO Foundation SDG7 for SDG8 Conference at IIM Bangalore (click here for the conf) happened yesterday 26 April 2019 and continue...
Alliance Uty Business School had a Conclave on Block Chain technology , a great panel discussion this morning in the first floor seminar ha...
Edward Deming (1900-1993) is one of greatest quality and process thinkers Edwards Deming (1900-1993) is responsible in the Manag...
Chinese fishing nets at Fort Kochi Most tourists agree with National Geographic Traveler "10 top places of the world to visit...
Prof. Yuval Noah Harari of Hebrew University, Jerusalem and author of three classic best sellers on the human species, our past and our fu...
Maruti, Tata, Honda, Mahindra shut down production – Cars worth Rs 35000 Crore; two wheelers valued at Rs 17000 Crore are lying unsold. ...
The 4 engined , 2 -storey, 880 capacity A380 at take-off .. The A380 from Airbus, France was the largest passenger plane, it could...