Sambhar is an Indian intensely spiced lentils vegetable soup used with rice as a curry.
On special request, the Sambhar recipe is being shared for public benefit. The sambhar powder can also be Brahmins, Everest, Shakthi, Aachi or any. There will be a slight taste diff. Sambhar powder can also be made at home, another recipe
1. Add 2 smsll cups of lentils .. (thuvara parippu). Pour just enough water to submerge it and cook in pressure cooker for 3 whistles.
2. After cooking lentils, open the pr cooker and put the foll veg - 1 carrot, 1 or 2 drum sticks cut, 1 sliced onion, 1 potato sliced, 150 gm kumbalanga, 150 gm vellarikka, 2 sliced ladies finger, 1 sliced tomato, some curry leaves, 2 green chillies sliced lengthwise. Put all these in the cooker with the cooked lentils and cook for 3 whistles again.
3. For garnishing, put an empty clean pan on the flame, pour coconut / sunflower oil, 1 tsp mustard seed, 5-6 uluva, sliced cherya ulli,1 red chilli dried (cayenne pepper) sliced, 3-4 peels of sliced garlic and 1 table spoon grated coconut. When the whole mix turns light brown, add turmeric powder 1 tsp, chilli powder 1 tsp, coriander powder 1.5 table spoon, Eastern sambhar powdwr 2 table spoon, asafoetida (kaayam) quarter teaspoon.
4. Turn to low flame, put a small ball of cleaned tamarind, seedless, in water for 10 mins. The sieved tamarind water should be added to the boiling sambhar. Add enough salt for taste. Add the garnished masala mix ONLY NOW to the pr cooker after adding enough water to make it loose. Once it boils, garnish again with sliced coriander leaves, switch off flame and allow to cool.
5. Sambhar is ready. Let us know how it tasted .. :)
Anila george ..