- The need to collaborate between the different players in the supply chain to reduce the total supply chain costs.
- The presence of leadtimes for supplies between entities adds to the complexity of the supply chain. Not to mention of longer leadtimes !!
- The backordering phenomenon, whereby unmet sales are not lost, but met in a subsequent period also adds to the complexity of the ordering and distribution in the distribution chain.
- The presence of many players adds to the confusion as they add their own leadtimes, shortages to the supply chain and make it unwieldy.
- Non-availability of customer demand at the retailer for the upstream entities of the distributor and manufacturere adds to the complexity of forecasting.
- The wholesaler having to meet the demands from the two retailers has to decide on his rationing process in events of stock shortage during distibution. Also he has to keep track of the downstream demand and supply processes, with the resultant shortages, adding to th complexity of th process.
- The wholesaler was observed to be playing the key role in the chain as they were shared the customer demand by the retailers and were in turn directing the distributors how much to procure and the manufacturers how much to manufacture, in order to keep the supply chain costs of holding and shortage low.
- Even though the teams were aware of the finite horizon of the game, they were unmindful of the fact that unsold stocks at end of horizon are a burden. These excess stocks incurred heavy obsolescence costs and caused the supply chain costs to shoot up.
- For very short changes in demand at the customer end, the manufacturer had to deal with vey high variability of production, incurring heavy costs of outsourced/borrowed machine time, revised raw material procurement plans, holding, transportation costs etc. This is also another contributor to the costs of the supply chain. This effect is popularly called the Bullwhip effect ( variance amplification in orders placed as one proceeds upstream in a supply chain).
Tuesday, March 04, 2008
Beer distribution game - learnings .
Learnings from the Beer Distribution game (A MANAGEMENT SIMULATION GAME OF THE DISTRIBUTION SIDE OF A BEER DISTRIBUTION CHAIN)
(feel free to add anymore learning from the game on a new page)
Given these facts of the game and the learning gained, if the game is played yet again, how would you respond. The aim is to keep the total supply chain costs low.
Write your points seperately on a sheet of paper and submit when the game will be played yet again.
Instructor : George Easaw
Modern research states that if you are owning a diesel car, you are polluting the environment four times more (4x) than a petrol car and ...
My popular posts over the last month ..
Here is the list of top ten "bank defaulter" companies from India .. It is a pity and matter of great shame that all the shady c...
These malayalam proverbs (invaluable diamonds of wisdom) have been collected from eyyal.blogspot.com and other sources on the Intern...
India was very fortunate to have had great PMs like Nehru and Dr. Manmohan Singh who have done yoemen service to the economy. Modi, ...
With proven, time tested and reliable capability, ISRO is getting ready to launch 103 satellites, nano, micro satellites all included, in ...
A child today can expect to change jobs at least seven times over the course of their lives – and five of those jobs don't exist yet ...
Well planned structured money laundering was carried out by our politicians before banning 500 and 1000 denomination currencies ... La...
Donald Trump appeared very balanced and mature in his victory speech. In the fast changing global scenario, democracy has once again succe...
Rajagiri HS Ernakulam, Kerala, in the late 70s, was a great place to do schooling. While at Rajagiri, I had a classmate who used to be...
When I read this Reuters report about how a 240 year old violent US culture destabilised a 4000 year culture, resulting in so much violenc...
Impact of poor British administration of India and it's aftermath Going through historical documents archived across the world, we...